01 November 2007

packing status

I'm really, really nervous that I won't be adequately (read: completely) packed when moving day arrives, so I went a little bonkers today.

I went to Home Depot and spent $138 on packing supplies.
  • 4 small boxes = $8
  • 3 medium boxes = $8
  • 2 wardrobe boxes = $26
  • 4 12-gallon plastic totes = $24
  • 2 rolls plastic wrap = $16
  • 1 roll bubble wrap = $6
  • 1 box packing paper = $10
  • 1 glassware packing set = $10
  • 1 dishware packing set = $10
  • 3-pack of file boxes = $10

Now, as of this posting, I've packed 14 boxes -- which is a good start for me. I even found a box suitable for my grandmother's hugeass heavy antique typewriter. I used my packing paper AND my shreddings to cushion it in the box. I definitely feel like I'm making progress.

One problem I've always had, however, is how to get the boxes out of my way once I've filled them and taped them shut. Usually they just sit in the middle of the kitchen, in my way, and become the surface area for future box fillings or other collected junk.

But this time, I had the brilliant idea to take advantage of my enormous bedroom. I moved my bed a few feet away from the wall, and started stacking the packed boxes up in the corner! I'm so freaking smart!

Plus, they're at just the right height to keep my alarm clock where I like it. Not that it wakes me up or anything. I really use it more as a nightlight.

No comments: